Monday 25 February 2008

Children, never grow old



At last we find me
Deal not in pleasantries I
But gaze upon the void
You wetly mortal coil
Fallen boneful sack
Spoiled fat on promise
/
Creation offered
Judge me not who takes
/
Half-glimpsed delights are found
Up close to be but plywood sham
A groom lifts the veil
Finds an unknown haggard face
Redolent of someone
Something loved
Yet not
/
From arduous toil I half expected
Opening before such weary eyes
Vistas green and pleasant
To justify the trudge.
Even children know horizons are
Constant as birth and death
These children trick me with their truth
May they be seen not heard
Lest I
Hearing
See and hear
Know I am less than this outward
Bluff colossus choked with rust
All that could have been
That could have been
Is dust
/
Among these silent groves
Tranquility of nothing
Mocks the bombast swell of pride
My flings with Eve and idle play
At fair Pandora’s side Paid meagre
/
Still I count the cost of wasted toil
Cuts borne from all this being
Seem as lead beside those radiant scars
I would have sold it all
To know it had a meaning
Caring not one iota what
It was

No comments: